Tony and I had among the finest French onion soups at a resort in Cancun a couple of years in the past. I wasn’t anticipating it to be so scrumptious, however the caramelized onions, juicy umami flavors, savory broth, and crispy-yet-slightly-soaked bread despatched me right into a straight meals coma of pleasure.
After that, we determined that selfmade French onion soup would ceaselessly be considered one of our favorites, and reality be advised, we’ve been craving a very good selfmade model ever since.
Just a few weeks in the past, I made a decision it was lastly time to aim the very best French onion soup recipe that will rival the one I had in Mexico.
Admittedly, after slicing 5 juicy onions, my eyes had been tearing up and burning, however the consequence was value it. The onions caramelized till they had been a darkish amber brown and my home smelled like a French restaurant. Oui, oui!
Many have advised me to chew gum whereas slicing onions to stop tearing up. I nonetheless haven’t tried it, however plan on the following time I make this recipe. You probably have some other tricks to stop onion tears, let me know within the remark under.
Searching for extra scrumptious soup recipes?
Enter your electronic mail to get considered one of our BEST soup recipes straight to your inbox every day for 10 days. Completely FREE!
French onion soup elements
This simple French onion soup recipe really doesn’t require a laundry checklist of elements. If it feels intimidating, don’t fear! You bought this. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Onions: you’ll wish to use white or yellow onion so as to add a pleasant sweetness to the soup. Don’t fear a mixture of onions additionally works.
- Flour: somewhat all-purpose flour will assist to thicken the soup. You may be happy to make use of gluten-free flour.
- Dry white wine: this helps to deglaze the pan and add a lift of taste.
- Beef broth: I like to recommend a very good high quality beef broth or beef inventory for the very best taste. You can even use a mixture of beef and rooster inventory. Home made beef broth would assist improve the flavour much more, however let’s be sincere, not many people have time to make selfmade beef broth, so store-bought works effectively.
- Contemporary thyme: at all times go along with contemporary thyme sprigs over dried.
- Worcestershire sauce: the flavors in Worcestershire sauce are a mixture of vinegar, garlic, chile, molasses, and many others. which act because the French onion soup spices. A tablespoon goes a great distance to assist carry out the umami flavors. I’m in love.
- For topping: like all basic French onion soup recipes, you’ll dunk baguette slices within the soup after which prime them with cheese. What’s the perfect French onion soup cheese? Some folks use parmesan cheese, swiss, or mozzarella, however sharp gruyere cheese is the way in which to go. I name it magic!
Can I skip the wine in my French onion soup recipe?
Positive! Be at liberty to easily use additional beef broth to deglaze the pan.
The important thing to the very best French onion soup: caramelized onions
We are able to all agree that caramelized onions are the very best issues ever, proper? Proper. They’re simpler to make than you suppose! Right here’s how you can do it:
- In a giant pot add ½ tablespoon olive oil or butter, sliced onions, and salt and pepper and place it over medium warmth; stir to coat.
- Prepare dinner the onions, stirring sometimes, and verify them each 5-10 minutes till they’ve utterly caramelized and turned golden brown.
- If the onions look like getting too darkish or sticking an excessive amount of to the underside of the pan, then merely scale back the warmth a bit. You can even add a teaspoon or two of water.
The way to make French onion soup
- Caramelize your onions. Begin by caramelizing your onions, then stir in flour and garlic.
- Assemble the soup. Deglaze the soup with white wine, scraping up all the brown bits, then add within the beef broth, thyme, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered.
- Season to style. After simmering for about 30 minutes take away the bay leaf and style the soup and add extra salt and pepper to style if essential.
- Toast your baguette. Slice your baguette and prime every slice with butter and garlic powder. Toast within the oven for five minutes per aspect till they’re good and golden.
- High your soup & serve. You’ve got two methods to complete your French onion soup with tacky bread on prime. See under!
Two methods to complete the French onion soup
- Choice 1: you’ll be able to merely add the cheese to the baguette slices after which prime with cheese. Broil till melted after which add to soup. Take pleasure in! This model is finest should you don’t have mini oven-safe crocks.
- Choice 2: add soup to crocks, prime along with your toasted baguette slice, add cheese, and warmth the soup below the broiler till cheese melts.
Storing & freezing your French onion soup
- To retailer: retailer any leftover French onion soup in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days with out the baguette on prime. Reheat within the microwave after which prime with tacky baguette as instructed.
- To freeze: let the soup cool utterly, then add it to freezer-friendly meal prep containers and freeze for as much as Three months. Once you’re able to eat it, thaw the soup within the fridge after which reheat it within the microwave. High with a tacky baguette and luxuriate in!
Extra soup recipes you’ll love
Get all of my soup recipes right here!
I hope you like this French onion soup recipe! In case you make it remember to go away a remark and a score so I understand how you preferred it. Take pleasure in, xo!
Basic French Onion Soup
An unbelievable, basic French onion soup recipe made with scrumptious caramelized onions, contemporary herbs, and a flavorful broth. High this excellent French onion soup with gruyere cheese and a toasted slice of garlic French bread. You will make this one time and again!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 giant yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra to style
- 2 tablespoons all goal flour (or gluten free flour)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup dry white wine (or beef broth), for deglazing the pan
- 7-8 cups beef broth, relying on how brothy you want your french onion soup (also can use bone broth)*
- 1 teaspoon contemporary thyme
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 1 tablespoon worcheshire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- For the baguettes:
- 1 demi french baguette, reduce into 1 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Garlic powder
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, thickly shredded
Soften the olive oil and butter in a big dutch oven or pot over medium warmth. Add within the onions and salt and stir to coat the onions with the butter. Prepare dinner onions, stirring sometimes; verify onions each 10-15 minutes till they’ve utterly caramelized and turned golden in coloration. This often takes 30-40 minutes complete. If the onions look like getting too darkish or sticking an excessive amount of to the underside of the pan, then merely scale back the warmth a bit.
After onions have utterly caramelized, add in flour and minced garlic, stir to coat onions and cook dinner for two extra minutes.
Deglaze the pan with about ½ cup very dry white white or beef broth and scrape up any brown bits from the underside of the pan. Slowly add in beef broth, thyme, freshly floor black pepper, worcheshire sauce and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes take away the bay leaf. Style and alter seasonings if essential, akin to including extra salt and pepper.
About 10 minutes earlier than the soup is completed, preheat the oven to 400°F and line a big baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the baguette slices in a single layer on the baking sheet, brush one aspect of toasts with butter and a sprinkle of garlic powder and toast within the oven for five minutes per aspect till golden on the perimeters. Take away from oven.
At this level you’ve gotten two choices on how you can end the soup:
OPTION 1: Add shredded cheese on prime of 1 aspect of the toasted baguettes and proceed to bake for 3-5 minutes longer till cheese is melted. Ladle soup into bowls. Add a slice or two of your tacky baguette on prime. Serve soup instantly. Generally I add somewhat additional shredded cheese on prime of the soup.
OPTION 2: You make the soup the normal method putting oven-safe bowls/crocks on a baking sheet and ladling soup into the bowls. High every with a toasted baguette. Sprinkle every bowl with about 1/Three cup shredded cheese. Broil till cheese is melted and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Be sure you are watching very fastidiously! Serve instantly. Makes 6 servings
See the complete publish for ideas, methods & freezing directions!
Serving: 1servingEnergy: 347calCarbohydrates: 22.3gProtein: 17.8gFats: 21.2gSaturated Fats: 11.4gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 5.9g
Recipe by: Monique of Bold Kitchen // Images by: Sasha of Eat Love Eats