These vegan enchiladas are a hearty, flavorful plant-based dinner! They’re smothered with purple enchilada sauce and stuffed with veggies and black beans.
These vegan enchiladas are severely scrumptious. At any time when I make them, my husband Jack and I battle during the last one. For context, Jack is perhaps the world’s largest cheese lover. If he’s going after cheese-much less enchiladas, you realize they should be good.
The filling here’s a hearty combination of mushrooms, peppers, and black beans. I roll it up in corn tortillas after which smother them with purple enchilada sauce and do-it-yourself vegan nacho cheese. Earlier than serving, I sprinkle garnishes like jalapeños, radishes, and avocado on prime.
This vegan enchiladas recipe is reassuring, but in addition recent. The wealthy enchilada sauce and vegan cheese create an unbelievable distinction with the recent veggies. Attempt it the following time you’re craving one thing wholesome, filling, and flavorful—it received’t disappoint!
How one can Make Vegan Enchiladas
Able to make vegan enchiladas? Yow will discover the whole recipe on the backside of this publish, however for now, I’ll provide you with an summary of the way it goes.
Get began with these easy elements:
- Corn tortillas – Use 100% corn tortillas should you want this recipe to be gluten-free. If not, I like to recommend utilizing tortillas comprised of a mixture of corn and wheat flour. They’ve the great taste of corn tortillas however the pliability of flour tortillas, which makes them nice for rolling.
- Crimson enchilada sauce – I like my do-it-yourself enchilada sauce on this recipe! Get forward by making it a day or two prematurely. Alternatively, use store-bought vegan enchilada sauce to streamline this recipe.
- Vegan cheese – This creamy, tangy sauce tastes like cheddar cheese, nevertheless it’s comprised of complete meals, plant-based elements like cashews, candy potatoes, and dietary yeast.
- Onion and garlic – They add savory taste to the enchilada filling.
- Mushrooms, poblano peppers, and black beans – They make the filling hearty and satisfying.
- Chili powder and cumin – They add heat, earthy taste to the filling combination.
- Additional-virgin olive oil – For sautéing the veggies.
- Recent lime juice – Squeeze it over the enchiladas for a pop of vibrant taste.
- Recent garnishes – Assume cilantro, jalapeños, radishes, avocado, and/or diced purple onion. They provide a refreshing distinction to the comforting enchiladas!
- And sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
First, make the vegan cheese.
Step one on this recipe is making the vegan cheese. Should you like, get forward by prepping it a day or two prematurely. Be aware that it’ll thicken within the fridge. You’ll possible want so as to add water to skinny it to a creamy, drizzleable texture earlier than assembling the enchiladas.
Should you’re making do-it-yourself enchilada sauce, prep it alongside the vegan nacho cheese. You may also make it forward! It retains effectively in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
Subsequent, make the mushroom filling.
Sauté the onions, peppers, and mushrooms till tender, seasoning them with the garlic and spices partway by way of the cooking time. Stir within the black beans.
Assemble the enchiladas.
Unfold half cup enchilada sauce on the backside of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
Fill every tortilla with just a little nacho cheese and a few of the veggie filling. Roll tightly to shut and place seam aspect down within the ready pan. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce down the center of the enchiladas, leaving the perimeters of the tortillas uncovered.
Are your tortillas too stiff to roll? Wrap them in a kitchen towel or damp paper towels and microwave for 20 seconds. They’ll grow to be way more pliable and simpler to work with!
Cowl the enchiladas and bake for 15 minutes at 400°F. Uncover and bake till the naked edges of the tortillas are flippantly crisp, 10 to 20 extra minutes.
Loosen the cheese sauce with water as wanted to achieve a creamy, drizzleable consistency. Pour half cup down the middle of the enchiladas. High with recent garnishes and squeeze with lime juice earlier than digging in!
How one can Retailer and Freeze
Retailer leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as Four days. They reheat properly within the microwave or oven!
I don’t suggest freezing these enchiladas, because the vegan cheese can separate when it thaws. Should you’d nonetheless prefer to freeze them, modify the recipe as follows:
- Don’t make the vegan cheese while you’re first prepping the enchiladas.
- Fill the tortillas with JUST the veggie and bean combination.
- Assemble within the baking dish with the enchilada sauce.
- Cowl and retailer within the freezer for as much as Three months.
Permit the frozen enchiladas to thaw in a single day within the fridge, after which bake in accordance with the recipe. Make the vegan cheese whereas the enchiladas bake, and serve with it on prime.
What to Serve with Vegan Enchiladas
These vegan enchiladas are a satisfying meal on their very own. However should you’re searching for a aspect dish to go along with them, you possibly can’t go fallacious with any of those recipes:
Get pleasure from!
These vegan enchiladas are a scrumptious, wholesome plant-based meal! They’ve a flavorful veggie and black bean filling and are topped with purple enchilada sauce and creamy vegan cheese. Get forward by making the vegan cheese and enchilada sauce a day or two prematurely. Retailer-bought sauce works too.
- 1 recipe Vegan Cheese, ready with 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for the baking dish
- ½ medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon floor cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups store-bought or do-it-yourself enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed* (we like a corn/flour combine for simple meeting)
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Diced or sliced avocado
- Sliced jalapeño or serrano peppers
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Diced purple onion
- Chopped recent cilantro
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Preheat the oven to 400°F and oil a 9×13-inch baking dish.
Put together the vegan cheese in accordance with this recipe, including 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeños for warmth. Add water as wanted to achieve a creamy, drizzleable consistency.
In a big skillet, warmth the olive oil over medium warmth. Add the onion, poblano, and mushrooms. Stir, then add the chili powder, cumin, and salt. Prepare dinner for five minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and prepare dinner, stirring, for Three minutes, or till the greens are tender. If the pan turns into dry, add water as wanted, 1 tablespoon at a time, and proceed to prepare dinner till the greens are tender. Stir within the black beans and take away from the warmth.
Evenly unfold a heaping ½ cup of the enchilada sauce within the ready baking dish. Fill every tortilla with a heaping tablespoon of the vegan cheese and a heaping ¼ cup of the veggie filling. Roll the tortillas and place them seam aspect down within the baking dish. Pour the remaining 1 cup enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, down the center, leaving the perimeters of the tortillas dry. Cowl and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 20 minutes, or till the perimeters of the tortillas are flippantly crisp.
If the vegan cheese sauce has thickened, stir in just a little water to loosen it. Pour ½ cup down the center of the enchiladas. Garnish with desired toppings and serve with lime wedges for squeezing.
*Be aware: Heat the tortillas for 20 seconds within the microwave, wrapped in damp paper towels, or warmth for 10 minutes within the oven, wrapped in aluminum foil.